Total Pageviews


Welcome to Riverswind notes

I hope you will join in my adventures here in Humboldt County and elsewhere as I explore nature & people.



I welcome your comments.



All Photos are protected by copyright and cannot be used without permission.



Monday, November 30, 2009

Wanderings at the Mouth of Mad River


Giant Driftwood left by the last high seas waiting for next one as they glow in the setting sun near the mouth of Widow White Creek.


A 10 minute drive from my house gets me to the Hammond trail near the mouth of the Mad River.


It is a place to unwind and enjoy the sea and the ever changing saga of how it affects the landscape.


I continue to look for anything unusual such as the Burrowing owl that I reported in November.


On this trip the tide was very low.

A Herring Gull with a crab walks away from other gulls that would snatch its prey
if given the opportunity.


The river cuts through the layers of sand west of Widow White Creek on it's final
stretch toward the sea.

A couple walks at the far edge of low tide where the river meets the sea.
A lone Marbled Godwit trots along the edge of the surf.


The silhouette of the temporarily closed Pulp Mill 15 miles south can be seen through
the seas mist.

The head of a Harbor seal appears at the waters surface as it glides quietly toward the sea then disappears abruptly.

A immature Red-Necked Grebe foraging in the river is an uncommon bird in the area.
I will return to this place many times or as long as my legs allow me and there is air in my lungs.
It is a local treasure that is mostly unappreciated by the majority judging by the few people I see on most days.

2 comments:

Camera Trap Codger said...

Definitely want to check it out one of these days. Looks like you have found a great playground.

Owlman said...

Hey Codger you have an open invitation to explore this beautiful place. I have barely scratched the surface.